Need more edge pressure! Even though I was saying it to myself over and over, I wasn’t actually implementing it. Need to be more mindful of this one thing. New acronym FERB seems to work well though. And then need to turn out the R hip afterwards. So:
- Forward – with the L arm – let it (and the edge?) go forwards a bit rather than trying to throw it to the L too quickly
- Edge pressure – bend the knee until the blade hits the toe pick
- Round – sweep the L arm around the body
- Behind – clasp both hands behind the body
- Turn out the R hip – this helped me to keep the spinning circle quite small AND helped me to keep spinning and spinning. This really helped!
- Keep the body strong (i.e. avoid dipping the upper body and bouncing up and down) – go down smoothly
- Point toe out – this is both more aesthetic and seems to help me to keep the L leg straight!
Start bending the L knee sooner (i.e. on the LFO rather than waiting until I have hit the toe and switched to a LBO edge). No pause. Seemed to work. It almost felt as if I was collapsing into the spin – but it did help me to get down into position more quickly.
Not having worked on the Axel for months due to my posterior tibialis injury and rehab, my Axel had deteriorated a little. However, coach started to help me fix it. Immediately, I’m not putting my free foot down.
- Jump forward – aim to get upper body over the R knee
- Push L arm forwards/out of the circle